Thursday, January 9, 2014

Best Christmas Songs

As Christmas time continues, I say one of the best ways to keep the flame burning is to continue to listen to good Christmas music.  I wanted to share my favorite Christmas Songs, and favorite versions of those songs.  I'd love to hear yours.  I'm looking to expand my catalog!

1. Videte Miraculum (Tallis) - Stile Antico - Click here to listen

Videte is a command to "see" - so "SEE the miracle!"  May we see it indeed!



2.  Oh Holy Night - Home Alone Choir - Click here to listen

Thank you John Williams!



3.  Carol of the Bells - Home Alone Choir- Click here to listen

For a kind of snarky Christmas movie, Home Alone sure got two Christmas songs perfectly right!



4.  The First Noel - Crash Test Dummies - Click here to listen

Despite being unable to grow a beard at age 34, I actually can only contribute to a choir by singing bass.  The guy from Crash Test Dummies gave me hope that people who sing bass actually have a place besides barbershop quartets and Boyz II Men.  You may hate this version...but it's my favorite.



5.  What Child is This? - John Denver - Click here to listen

This video above has the most beautiful artwork in a Youtube video that I think I've ever seen.  Awesome!!!



6.  O Magnum Mysterium (Lauridsen) - Choir of Wells Cathedral - Click here to listen

"O Great Mystery!" - that about sums up Christmas!



7. The Angels Cried - Alan Jackson and Alison Krauss - Click here to listen

I am a country guy at heart, and these are two of my favorites.  Ms. Krauss even crosses over into my other favorite - bluegrass.  Alison Krauss may have the best voice I've ever heard.  Beautiful song.  And for all the Thomists waiting to pounce - yes I know that Angels do not have bodies so they can not actually cry; nonetheless I like the song.



8. O Come All Ye Faithful - Celine Dion - Click here to listen

That girl can belt out a song, and this is a song that needs to be belted out!



9. O Christmas Tree - Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas) - Click here to listen

The whole Charlie Brown Christmas CD is worth a purchase!



10.  Gloria - Thomas Tallis (Tallis Scholars) - Click here to listen

Some Christmas I'm going to scrap together the money to have a choir come do this Mass with me on Christmas morning. 


What are your ten favorite?







 


1 comment:

  1. All carols that are in Latin...I luv
    Adeste Fideles (O Come, All Ye Faithful)
    Veni, Veni Emanuel (O Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel)
    Gaudete! Gaudete! Christus est natus http://wn.com/gaudete_medieval_christmas_latin_carol

    Also luv your choices...hope you can get that choir together...I will travel all the miles from Cape Breton Island to attend that Christmas Mass.

    May the Lord bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete